CAUTION: Smartphone operating temperatures
Keeping your smartphone within it’s operating temperature
All smartphone manufacturers recommend certain acceptable operating and ambient temperatures for use of their devices. These vary from manufacturer to manufacturer.
Some recommendations by Apple for iOS devices:
- use between 0° and 35° C (32° to 95° F). Lower or higher temperature may change the behaviour of the device.
- store between -20° and 45° C (-4° to 113° F)
- avoid leaving in parked cars or in direct sunlight when temperatures exceed given limits
If your iPhone or iPod presents a temperature warning screen turn it off, move it to a cooler place and allow it to cool down.
Smartphone battery behaviour in temperature extremes:
- the more demands set on the smatrphone the more power it will draw from the battery
- smartphone battery will give off more heat
- this can overheat the smartphone
- if this happens frequently it may damage the device or the battery.
- electrons in the electrolyte fluid of the battery cannot produce enough current to power a smartphone.
- More about how smartphones work in sub-zero weather
In all of these instances the functioning of a smartphone is impaired and as such applications will not work properly.
It is best to consult your smartphone brand’s specific recommendations on acceptable operating temperatures of your device to prolong it’s life and maintain its flawless operation.
Posted in: Wireless & Apps